**I have been doing little touch-ups here and there to this piece. I am happy with it for the mostpart, a few small details needed polish. I have updated the doll pieces accordingly.**
This is a full-body shot of my entry for the Superhero Dress-Up Project ---> [link]
. I had mentioned that I was going to join this quite a while ago, but knew it was going to take gobs of time to do, so I have been avoiding it. Still, I felt like since I committed, I should--plus I really DID want to see if I could come up with a good entry.
At first I wanted to do one of my OCs from years past, but then chickened out. I considered doing Catwoman--since she is sorta considered a superhero--but then decided against it. After wracking my brain, I decided on Batgirl. However, I wanted to do the Batgirl from the 60s t.v. series. When I was a young girl, I used to watch the show in re-runs all the time. I loved Batgirl and thought she was the prettiest thing ever. Looking back, her outfit is far from standard crimefighter gear. Kinda hard to sneak up on the bad guys in that shiny purple and yellow get up! In my version, I purposely used a bit more muted tones, while still trying to keep the shiny-ness.
As for the coloring, I know I messed up some of the lighting. I was going for a right-side light source. I managed most of the piece okay with that, but particularly the boots, I had to throw a bit of that out the window.
Still, considering I haven't done this kind of comicbook coloring in a LONG time, I think I did all right.
Oh, I do want to mention, since I had to make separate pieces for the doll project, that made this deviation 10 times harder. There are certain things I wanted to do with shading, but couldn't because I had to make sure the individual pieces would work on their own if mix-and-matched with other doll pieces on the maker. So, making sure the final version of the pieces all lined up and looked okay on their own was particularly challenging. Also, I could not get the cape to look right with traditional brushes, so I ended up using a straight pixel line and hand anti-aliased the whole thing!
Time Spent: 6-7 hours over a period of time.
Program: Paint Shop Pro 7
For those of you who aren't familiar with this version of Batgirl, here's a reference shot. ---> [link]